Recipe: Thandai | How to make Thandai
Thandai Recipe - Traditionally associated with festivals like Mahashivratri and Holi thandai is a chilled almond-flavoured beverage and is terrific for when the tempratures soar. Its tasty and cools you down!
Main Ingredients : Full cream milk (फुल क्रीम/ मलाईदार दूध ), Almonds (आलमंड/बादाम)
Cuisine : Uttar Pradesh
Course : Beverages
The cuisine of Uttar Pradesh is synonymous with a wide variety as every city in this state offers a different but equally sumptuous cuisine for the gourmet. Most families in Uttar Pradesh eat vegetarian food, although meat delicacies cooked in the Awadh style are world famous. Average cuisines in Uttar Pradesh revolve around the simple, vegetable curries of all kinds. But there is a predominance of fried foods which are a must especially during festivals and special occasions.
The irresistible Mughlai food is reminiscent of the Nawabi and the Mughal glory. The world renowned Dum Pukht (means ‘to breathe and to cook’) cuisine owes its excellence to the fact that the food, sealed in a dish and slow-cooked in its own juices, retains its entire natural aromas and flavours. Lucknow is famous for its biryanis and different meat preparations. A very interesting aspect of Awadh cuisine is the inspiration it draws from a myriad sources - seasons and celebrations, flora and fauna, personalities, poetry and colour.
For more recipes related to Thandai checkout Pichkari Thandai . You can also find more Beverages recipes like Jamun Panna, Iced Coconut Milk With Sago, Coconut And Bhang, Cold Coffee. Or try out these recipes from Uttar Pradesh Cuisine like Dal Moth Samosa, Belfal Sherbet, Dum Mirch Makai, Chowkey Dahiwali Aloo.
Recipe Type Veg.
- Full cream milk 1 1/2 litres
- Almonds blanched and peeled25
- Cashewnuts soaked20
- Pistachios blanched and peeled30
- Melon seeds (magaz) soaked3 tablespoons
- Poppy seeds (khuskhus/posto) soaked3 tablespoons
- Saffron (kesar) a few strands
- Sugar 1 1/2 cups
- Green cardamoms 8-10
- Rose petals 20-25
- Cinnamon 1 inch stick
- Black peppercorns 8-10
- Grind together almonds, cashewnuts, pistachios, melon seeds and poppy seeds with a little milk to a fine paste. Bring milk to a boil in a pan. Add saffron and mix.
- When the milk begins to boil add sugar and simmer till the sugar melts. Grind green cardamoms, dried rose petals, cinnamon and black peppercorns to a fine powder.
- Add the paste to the milk and mix well. Simmer for three to four minutes. Add the powdered masala to the milk and mix well. Chill the milk and serve.