Recipe: Matar Mushroom | How to make Matar Mushroom
Matar Mushroom Recipe - semi dry curry of peas and mushrooms made north indian style.
Recipe Type Veg.
- 200 gms button mushrooms
- ⅔ or ¾ cup fresh or frozen peas/matar *check notes
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ or ½ tsp garam masala powder or punjabi garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- 1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic
- 2 cups water or as required. reduce the amount of water to 1 cup if using tender or frozen peas * check notes
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- heat oil in a pan or kadai. add the finely chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- add crushed ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste. saute till the raw aroma disappears.
- add the chopped tomatoes and green chilies.
- stir and then add the spice powders - turmeric, red chilli, coriander powder.
- stir and saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the onion-tomato masala mixture.
- add the chopped mushrooms and peas.
- stir and saute for 2 to 3 mins. then add water and salt. add water as required. if using tender or frozen peas, then reduce the water to 1 cup. if using peas which are not tender or old, then add 2 cups of water or as required. in case there is too much water even after the peas or mushrooms are cooked, then reduce the water by simmering the curry without a lid for some more minutes till you get the desired consistency. in case the water become less, then add some more water. the consistency is a semi dry gravy or curry. so before the gravy reaches this consistency, the peas and mushrooms should be cooked well. so add water or reduce the water from the gravy accordingly.
- cover the pan with a lid and cook till the peas are softened.
- once done, sprinkle garam masala powder.
- stir and serve matar mushroom hot with rotis, naan or chapatis.
* On peas and water - if using tender peas of frozen peas then you can follow the method which i have mentioned. reduce the amount of water as tender peas or frozen peas will get cooked quickly. i have added 2 cups of water as the peas i added were taking a lot of time to cook. you can also pre cook or steam the peas before hand and then add to the gravy, once the mushrooms are done.
Step by step Matar Mushroom recipe:
1.. heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. add finely chopped 1 medium sized onion and saute till translucent.
2.. add 1.5 tsp crushed ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste. saute till the raw aroma disappears.
3.. add 3 medium sized finely chopped tomatoes and 1 chopped green chili. stir.
4.. add the spice powders – ½ tsp turmeric, (¼ or ½) tsp red chili powder and 1 tsp coriander powder.
5.. stir and saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the onion-tomato masala mixture.
6.. add 200 grams chopped mushrooms and (⅔ or ¾) cup peas/matar.
7.. stir and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
8.. then add 2 cups water and salt as required. cover the pan with a lid and cook till the peas are softened. please check point no 7 and notes section in the recipe details for more info on the quality of peas and amount of water to be added.
9.. once done, sprinkle (¼ or ½) tsp garam masala powder.
stir and serve matar mushroom hot with rotis, naan, parathas or chapatis.