Recipe: Til Chikki | How to make Til Chikki
These crispy sweet treat is usually made from jaggery and sometime sugar and is mixed with sesame seed, peanuts, dry fruits etc. A lot of varieties of chikki is prepared for this kite flying festival.
In this recipe of til chikki, I have made both til chikki and til ladoo or tilgul laddu. Laddu and chikki both are made from same jaggery sesame seeds spread. Just instead of rolling flat you need to make balls from it. Just be careful while making til gud laddu as the hot jaggery might burn your hand.
Til Chikki Recipe - A crunchy sweet rich in iron and protein made from sesame seeds (til) and jaggery (gud).
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Servings : Depends
- Sesame seeds / Til - 100 gm
- Jaggery / Gud - 1/2 cup grated
- Water - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp, for greasing
- Wet the sesame seeds or til in the running water.
- Then dry out the sesame seeds by spreading them in a kitchen towel.
- In the non stick pan dry roast the sesame seeds or til until they starts fluttering. This way til chikki will become soft.
- Remove the sesame seeds in a plate and let them cool off.
- Also grate the jaggery or finely chop it using knife.
- Grease the rolling board with 1/2 tsp of clarified butter/ghee. Also apply some ghee on rolling pin.
To Make Til Chikki Or Til Gud Chikki
- In the same pan take grated jaggery / gud and add a tbsp of water and stir it.
- Stir continuously while the jaggery is melting.
- Once jaggery melts it will start forming a lot of bubbles. Stir continuously without stopping.
- After a while the bubbles will disappear and jaggery will form soft paste like slurry. Now is time to add roasted sesame seeds.
- Turn off the gas and add roasted sesame seeds / til in hot jaggery mixture. Mix well.
- Without wasting any time take the til gud mixture on rolling board and with the help of rolling pin make a flat disc around 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a knife make horizontal and vertical cut approx 2 inch apart while the spread is still hot.
- Once cooled separate each pieces and store them in an air tight container.
- Til chikki is ready now.
Step by step Til Chikki recipe:
1.. Take the sesame seeds / til in a strainer and wash them in running water as shown in the below picture.
2.. Once the til has been washed put them on dry cloth/kitchen towel to dry extra water.
3.. Spread sesame seeds nicely in the cloth and let them dry out til they have little moisture left.
4.. Once the til is semi dry just dry roast them in a flat non-stick pan until they starts fluttering. By this way you can make your til chikki soft and crunchy.
5.. Now heat a non-stick pan and take grated jaggery in it.
6.. Add a tbsp of water. By doing this you would get time to roll chikki or else it would get hard soon.
7.. Now slowly the jaggery will start to melt. Heat the jaggery on low flame.
8.. Once the jaggery is melted, you will get lot of bubble coming. Stir continuously.
9.. Stir until the bubble stops completely and the jaggery is soft.
10.. Now it is time to add roasted sesame seeds / til.
11.. Combine well the roasted sesame seeds with jaggery while it is still hot.
12.. Prepare a rolling board by applying ghee/clarified butter. Also apply some ghee on rolling pin to avoid chikki sticking to it. Take the mixture on rolling board which is greased with ghee.
13.. Apply pressure to til gud spread and form a big round ball as shown in below picture. Wet your hand with water to avoid it getting burn.
14.. With the help of the rolling pin roll as thin as you want.
15.. After rolling make the cuts immediately so that you get the proper shape or else it will become hard.