Prepared with raw rice, Murukku is a popular Indian dish.
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Servings : 4
- 4 cups Raw Rice
- Half cup White Gram
- 25 g White Sesame Seeds
- 25 g Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Asafoetida Powder
- 100 g Butter
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, for frying
- Wash and clean the rice well. Let it out to dry and once it has dried completely, powder it nicely.
- Fry the white gram well, powder it and keep it aside.
- Mix the powdered rice, powdered gram, white sesame seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida powder, butter and salt together, without adding water. Take a little of this mixture, add water to it to get a dough like consistency. Now take this dough and twist it into circular shapes of the murukku (chakli).
- Heat the oil in a wok. Test how hot it is by dropping a pinch of dough into it - if it sinks, the oil hasn`t become hot enough. If the dough springs to the top with bubbles all around it, then the oil is just ready.
- Drop in the murukku gently into the hot oil and fry golden brown. Keep flipping the sides until the rice chakli is done.
- Store the murukkus in an air tight container.