Recipe: Aloo Chiwda
This is a crunchy potato snack enhanced with nuts.
Preparation Time : 11-15 minutes
Cooking time : 41-50 minutes
Servings : 4
- Potatoes grated5 medium
- Cashewnuts broken1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- Dry coconut (khopra) sliced1/2 cup
- Green chillies seeded and chopped3-4
- Curry leaves 10
- Raisins 1/4 cup
- Roasted cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds (saunf) 1 tablespoon
- Powdered sugar 2 tablespoons
- Rock salt (sendha namak) 1/4 teaspoon
- Soak grated potatoes in salted water for ten minutes. Drain and pat dry on a towel. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
- Drop a handful of potatoes in hot oil and deep-fry till golden brown and crisp. Drain onto an absorbent paper. Deep-fry the remaining potatoes in the same way. Set aside to cool.
- Fry one after the other cashewnuts, coconut slices, green chillies and curry leaves till light brown and crisp. Drain onto an absorbent paper and set aside to cool.
- Combine all the fried ingredients in a big bowl. Add raisins, roasted cumin powder, garam masala powder, roasted fennel seeds, powdered sugar and rock salt. Mix well.
- When completely cooled, store in an airtight container.