''Shillong is a beautiful hill station & the capital of Meghalaya located at the height of 1496 meters. It is also called ‘ Scotland of the East ' due to its striking similarity with the Scottish highlands. The city derives its name from "Leishyllong"-the Superpower or God who is believed to reside on the Shillong peak, overlooking the city.
Shillong has beautiful lakes and waterfalls and is placed among green mountains and pine forests.. This hill station offers clean, serene, cool and pollution free environment to tourists.
If the couples visit the place in monsoon, they can enjoy the magical rains. There are countless waterfalls and lakes here which come alive during the monsoon season. The clouds seem to play hide and seek. The couples can have some of the memorable and magical moments of their life visiting here. The place has a blending of British architecture, natural beauty and romanticism making it perfect destination for honeymoon.
Shillong as Honeymoon Destination (Romantic Getaway)
A honeymoon spent in North-East is the honeymoon well spent. One of the best locations for honeymoon in Northeast is Shillong, which is situated in the state of Meghalaya. Undoubtedly, the beauty of Shillong exemplifies the charm of a honeymoon. One can expect surreal settings, with cascading waterfalls, green rolling hills and tranquil ambiance. Experience warm hospitality and delight in delectable northeastern cuisine. Shillong is famous for its musical nights with people playing guitar and humming famous melodies.
So expect cheerful evenings in Shillong. Since you are in eastern part of the country, you can also expect some exotic sun rise views here. Shillong is a major tourist destination in India and thus is replete with many hotels and resorts offering a pleasant stay. Lake Hydari, Ward’s Lake, Sweet Falls, Spread Eagle Fall and Shillong Peaks are the major attractions of Shillong.
Best time to visit Shillong
January, February, March, April, May, September, October, November, December,
Why Visit Shillong as Romantic Getaway?
- The Elephant Gait and the Elephant Falls are beautiful sights especially in the rainy season and are favorite picnic spots among the locals.
- Shillong Peak, the highest point of Shillong, is often surrounded with fog.
- The Botanical Garden near Ward Lake has some species of flora of the region. A better place is the Orchidarium of the Botanical Survey of India.
- Near the Botanical Garden, one can find the celebrated Golf Course, called the Gleneagles of the East. The Golf club retains the colonial touch and is the first 18-hole golf course in Asia.
- City is also famous for its churches. The most beautiful church is that of the Cathedral of Mary Help of Christians.
Shillong romantic destination is also famous for
Shillong has a cool climate all through the year and can be visited any time of the year. But the best season is from September to May.
Best Season: September to May
Summers: March to June
Winters: November to February
Monsoons: June to September