Makara Chaula Recipe | Makar Sankranti Recipes
Preparation Time Required: 15-20 mins
Cost of Ingredients: 40-50 rupees
- Arwa chaula ( 1/2 cup )
- milk ( 1 cup )
- freshly grated coconut ( 4-5 tbs )
- small sugarcane pieces ( 1/3 cup )
- ripe banana ( 1 no. )
- sugar, pepper powder ( 1/4 tsp )
- chenna/cottage cheese ( 1-2 tbs )
- grated ginger ( 1 tsp )
- Soak the rice overnight. Wash and drain. Spread on a plate and allow to dry at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
- Grind into a coarse powder and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the banana and mix well. Peel and crush the banana. Add to the mixing bowl and mix.
- Consume within a day if kept outside the refrigerator. Can be refrigerated upto 5 days.
- The ingredients listed above are traditionally used in Makara chaula. Some other popular ingredients are jaggery, sweet potato (peeled and grated) and sakara aloo ( peeled and grated ).
- Makara Chaula is prepared during the Makara Sankranti festival in Orissa. The rice used is preferably from the fresh harvest. There are slight variations in the ingredients depending on the regions.
With Best Wishes,