maharashtrian karanji recipe - makes 14-15
Preparation Time : 40 mins
Cooking time :40 mins
Total Time :1 hour 20 mins
karanji recipe - crisp flaky fried pastry stuffed with desiccated coconut and dry fruits.
Ingredients For cover:(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
for the stuffing:
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 8 to 9 almonds/badam
- 9 to 10 cashews/kaju
- 9 to 10 golden raisins
- 4 green cardamoms, powdered or ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar or as required
- a pinch of nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- ½ tbsp ghee
for the outer pastry:
- 2 cups all purpose flour/maida
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp milk or as required
preparing the karanji stuffing:
- heat ghee in a small frying pan.
- add the desiccated coconut and saute stirring often till the coconut turns golden.
- remove the coconut and keep aside.
- in the same pan, add the sesame seeds and roast till they pop and change color. keep aside.
- in a dry grinder or coffee grinder, grind the almonds, cashews, raisins to a semi fine powder.
- you can also chop these dry fruits. if you want, you can also roast the dry fruits and then chop or powder them.
- add this dry fruits powder to the sesame seeds and coconut mixture.
- add powdered sugar, nutmeg powder and cardamom powder.
- mix everything well and keep the stuffing aside.
for the outer pastry:
- heat the ghee first. just lightly heat it.
- in a bowl or pan, take the flour. add the hot melted ghee and salt.
- just lightly mix everything.
- add milk in parts and knead the dough till smooth.
- cover the dough with a moist kitchen towel and keep aside for 15 to 20 mins.
assembling and preparing karanjis:
- divide the dough into two parts.
- roll each part into a log. cut the log in equal slices.
- take each slice and roll it between your palms.
- with a rolling pin on a dusted board, roll the dough round in 4 to 5 inches diameter circle.
- place a tbsp or 2 to 3 tsp of the stuffing in the center or on one side of the circle, keeping the edges empty. make sure you don't over stuff as then it becomes difficult to shape the karanjis. they may also break while frying.
- with your fingertips, apply water all over the circumference edge.
- gently bring together both the edges and join. gently press the edges.
- now with your fingertips, start pinching the pressed edges.
- make all karanjis this way and then fry them. keep the prepared karanjis covered with a moist kitchen towel, so that they dough does not dry out.
- heat oil for deep frying in a pan or kadai.
- gently place the prepared karanji in hot oil. just add a few karanji while frying and don't crowd them.
- fry the karanji till crisp and golden. remove and drain the karanji on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- once cooled, store them in air-tight container.
- serve karanji warm or at room temperature.