Recipe: Sev Puri
Sev Puri recipe with step by step photos – a street food snack from mumbai and one of indian's favorite chaat recipe. In fact, coming to think of it, all the chaat recipes are their all time favorites.
Sev Puri is a spicy, sweet, tangy chaat with so many different textures and tastes mingling in your mouth. Its easy to assemble sev puris. Just that some of the ingredients need to be prepped up before you start assembling them.
In sev puri, curd/yogurt is not added, unless one wants it. In papdi chaat along with curd, boiled white chickpeas and sometimes urad dal/black gram pakoris/fritters are added. Sev, onion and tomatoes are also not added to the papdi chaat. The rest of the ingredients are same.
Preparation Time : 45 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Servings : Depends
Ingredients for the sev puri:
- 36 flat crisp puris/papdis
- ½ to ¾ cup sev or add as required
- 2 to 3 medium to large potatoes, boiled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 to 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 green chili chopped (optional)
- ⅓ to ½ cup spicy mint coriander chutney
- ⅓ to ½ cup sweet tamarind dates chutney
- ¼ to ⅓ cup hot red chili chutney
- 1 tsp red chili powder (lal mirch powder), optional
- 1 to 2 tsp cumin powder (jeera powder), optional
- 1 to 2 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp black salt/rock salt or common salt
- 1 to 2 tsp lime juice
Ingredients for the spicy green coriander chutney:
- 2 cups tightly packed coriander leaves/dhania patta, chopped
- 2 green chilies/hari mirch, chopped, add more for a spicy chutney
- ½ inch ginger, chopped (optional)
- ¼ to ½ tsp lime juice or add as per taste
- ½ tsp cumin powder/jeera
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp salt or as required
- 1 to 2 tsp water for grinding or add as required
Ingredients for the sweet tamarind dates chutney:
- ½ cup tightly packed seedless tamarind
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ½ cup powdered or grated jaggery or as required - adjust as per your taste
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp dry ginger powder
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chili powder or 1 dry red chili * see notes
- Black salt or rock salt as required
Ingredients for red chili chutney:
- 15 to 16 dry kashmiri red chilies
- 8 to 9 medium garlic cloves
- Salt as required
Procedure (making the green coriander chutney):
- Rinse the coriander leaves well in water and roughly chop them.
- Take the chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies & ginger, cumin powder, chaat masala, lemon juice and salt in a grinder jar or a small blender jar.
- Add 1 or 2 tsp water and grind to a smooth chutney. add a few teaspoons more of the water if required. but don't make the chutney too thin or watery.
- Remove the chutney in a bowl and keep aside. use this green chutney as required for chaat recipes like this sev puri.
Procedure (making the sweet tamarind dates chutney):
- In a pan, take the tamarind, dates and water.
- Cook the tamarind and date for about 8-9 minutes on a low flame till they soften.
- Now add the powdered jaggery and continue to cook.
- Let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit.
- Add all the spice powders - red chili powder, coriander powder, dry ginger powder and roasted cumin powder.
- Stir & simmer for a further 1-2 minutes more.
- Season with salt.
- Set the chutney mixture cool down.
- In a chutney grinder or small blender, grind the this whole mixture till smooth.
- Add some water if required while grinding.
- Strain the chutney through a strainer.
- Store the tamarind date chutney in an airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator and use it when you make chaat at home.
Procedure (preparing red chutney):
- Break the chilies. deseed them if required.
- Soak the red chilies in hot water for about 30 mins. the water just needs to cover them.
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- Drain the red chilies.
- Adding very little water grind both the red chilies and garlic in a chutney grinder or blender till smooth. the consistency of the chutney should be more towards thicker side or of medium consistency.
- Pour the chutney in a small jar or bowl. cover and refrigerate.
- When preparing chaat snacks, just add a small amount while topping the chaat with other chutneys.
Procedure (for assembling the sev puris):
- Keep all the ingredients like the chutneys, chopped boiled potatoes, chopped onions and tomatoes, sev, lime juice read on your work surface.
- Arrange the puris on a plate. top it up with chopped boiled potatoes.
- Add chopped onions and tomatoes to it.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala and cumin powder on it, if you want at this stage.
- Top iup with the green chutney as much as you want. then top up with red chili chutney.
- Then with the sweet chutney as much as you want.
- Sprinkle sev on top. again sprinkle some chaat masala, cumin powder. sprinkle also black salt.
- Add a dash of lime juice to the sev puri. garnish sev puri with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve sev puri immediately.