Kalimpong - West Bengal, India
''Khangchendzonga offers a magnificent backdrop to Kalimpong. Come the season, exotic orchids, flowers break into a riot of colors. Do a bit introspection sitting on the edge of the meandering rivers. Or if you want an adrenalin rush, paddle a raft out in the river Teesta or trek up to the Neora National Park.
The lofty Kanchejungha welcomes you as you travel to Kalimpong. The rolling green ridges at the foothills of the Himalayas are an enchanting treat to the senses. The idyllic Teesta and Rangeet flow by lending the region a rare beauty.
Kalimpong is a beautiful hill town in the north of West Bengal. Tucked away among the mountainous ranges of the eastern Himalayas, Kalimpong is a secluded retreat.
Kalimpong town is located on a ridge that connects two hills, Deole Hill and Durpin Hill with the mighty River Teesta flowing in the valley below. Located in the Darjeeling district of West Bengal, Kalimpong is often a stopover before one continues to the other popular hill stations around such as Darjeeling, Gangtok, Pelling, Siliguri all of which are at almost equal distance from Kalimpong; a maximum 2-3 hour drive.
Kalimpong as Honeymoon Destination (Romantic Getaway)
Another charming destination from the Indian state of West Bengal is Kalimpong. The best part of any trip is that ebbs away all the worries and anxiety and if it is a honeymoon tour, it can certainly do the job right. Honeymoon in Kalimpong can be one of such experiences, where the scenic beauty takes away all the worries leaving one rejuvenated. Accommodation facility of Kalimpong is quite good, so that you don’t have to fidget much while searching for a hotel in budget. Deolo Hills, golf course, Thaongsha Gompa, Durpin Dara and Kali Mandir are some of the best places to visit in Kalimpong.
Famed for its Buddhist monasteries, Kalimpong is a heavenly place at bloom-time, when Kalimpong emerges in a riot of colors as entire hillsides get covered with exquisite orchids and other exotic flowers. The panoramic view of the Khangchendzonga range from here is one of its significant highlights.
Best time to visit Kalimpong
Kalimpong has lovely weather and can be visited all year round.The best time though is during the months from November to April.
Why Visit Kalimpong as Romantic Getaway?
- The highest point of Kalimpong is the Deole hill at 1704 meters. However Kalimopong hill station even stretches across to the area of Rachela which is located at 3152 meters and is the tri-junction between West Bengal, Sikkim and the neigbouring country of Bhutan.
- Even Mount Kanchenjunga, which is the world’s third tallest peak at 8598 meters is clearly visible from her on a clear day sunny day.
- There are many famous tourist spots to visit here such as Zhak Dhok Palri Phodang, a Buddhist monastery which houses some rare Tibetan Buddhist scriptures
- This apart there are many places close to Kalimpong that one can visit such as Lava, Loleygaon, Pedong, Rishop, Charcoal, Neora National Park in Eastern Himalayas and the river valleys of Teesta, Rishi, Rilli, Git and Samthar plateau.
- Apart from being rich in flora, Kalimpong is also rich in fauna life such as some rare species of animals including the red panda, clouded leopard, Himalayan Tahr, Siberian weasel and others.
Kalimpong romantic destination is also famous for
It has a moderate climate ranging from between 15°C to 25°C in summer and 7°C to 15°C in winter, making it a popular destination the whole year.
Best Season: Mar - Jun, Sep - Dec
Summers: 17 to 30°C
Winters: 3 to 15°C