13 Facts About Indian Cricket That Are Sure To Amaze You
Cricket is not just a game in India. It is a religion that unites all people of India, irrespective of their actual religious beliefs. Some of us might still be oblivious to what “OMG” means, but everybody knows what “LBW” means. But it’s time you learnt that OMG stands for Oh My God, because this is exactly how you will feel once you have read these astonishing facts about Indian cricket that you probably did not know:
1. Ravi Shastri achieved the incredible feat of hitting six sixes in an over in a Ranji trophy match.
The hapless bowler was Tilak Raj. The match was Bombay vs Baroda at Bombay, 1984-85 season. Shastri remained not out on 200 and hit 13 sixes in the innings. Yuvraj Singh became the 4th cricketer to achieve this incredible feat – the first three were Sir Gary Sobers (Nottinghamshire vs Glamorgan in 1968), Ravi Shastri (Bombay vs Baroda in 1984) and Herschelle Gibbs (South Africa vs The Netherlands 2007).
2. RG Nadkarni, popularly known as ‘Bapu’ Nadkarni, bowled 21 maidens in a row in the first test between India and England at Madras in January 1964.
Nadkarni’s final figures were an amazing 32-27-5-0.
3. In 1999 Anil Kumble, became the second bowler to take 10 wickets in an innings of the test match (vs Pakistan in New Delhi)
The first to take 10 wickets was the English bowler Jim Laker in 1956 v Australia at Old Trafford
4. The first Indian to be featured in Wisden magazine was KS Ranjit Singhji, popularly known as ‘Ranji’. He was featured in the 1897 issue of the Internationally renowned “Wisden” magazine.
5. Ajit Wadekar was the first ODI captain for India. He has played only 2 ODI matches
6. In June 1932 India, described in all contemporary reports as All- India, played their first Test match at Lord’s against England
7. Lala Amarnath was the first player to score the 1st century in test cricket for India
8. Price of a cricket bat ranges from Rs 50 to Rs 2000
9. MS Dhoni is the 22nd highest paid athlete in the world (June 2014). His total earnings amounts to $30 Million (Endorsements – $26 million, salary and winnings total- $4 million)
10. The only cricketer to have played, both for England and India is Nawab of Pataudi (Senior)
11. Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi of India became the youngest ever test captain at the age of 21. This record was only surpassed by Tatenda Taibu in 2004. Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi played for a long time with a glass eye
12. Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to be dismissed (run out) by using television replays in the second day of the Test scoring 11
13. Sachin Tendulkar, the God of cricket in India, made his cricketing debut for Pakistan before playing for India